Old Puffer Pete is an elderly American hodge-podge steam locomotive.
Old Puffer Pete is the codgerly chief engine of the Celgreb City Freight Depot, Crotoonia's largest and busiest export and import center. He still needs to get used to plenty of new names in Crotoonia, which he often bodges up with newcomers or younger engines. However he's a hard working and dependable engine who often passes down his wisdom to newcomers. Just don't be around when he goes off for hours on end about "the old days"; he's been around for over 150 years!
Old Puffer Pete seems to be loosely based on parts of early 4-4-0 locomotives from the United States, such as Union Pacific's "No.119", "The General", and "Jupiter".
- His glasses can spin around.
- He occasionally gets the younger engines' names wrong.
- His tall funnel gives him the appearance of being taller than any other engine, except for Decka and Mtambo.
- He is referred to as "Peter" by Olwin.
- He often says Brewster, Wilson and Koko's names wrong by calling them Beezewax, Walnut, and Cupcake or Bulldog, Ketchup, and Windsock.
- He is the oldest chugger, resembling an 1890's steam locomotive.
- He seems to be able to remember the names of older engines making it seem that he only forgets the names of those he has not known for long.
- In Brazilian narration, he's called "Pedro". In German he is called "Großvater Pete", but in English it means "Grandpa Pete". In the Hebrew version, he is reffered to as "שיפי המתנשף". In Polish he called "Stary Pit".
- He is one of 3 steam engines to work in Chuggington, the other being Speedy McAllister and Olwin.